In an addin I'm writing for CommunityServer I'm using a job. A job in the CommunityServer perspective is a task which is executed periodically. Since I have had some trouble with my job, I needed a way to monitor whether my job is executed properly. Scott Watermasysk has posted a simple ASPX page some time ago to get the status of all jobs configured in CS. Since I'm a lazy guy I integrated this code into the CommunityServer administration interface and additionally added a page for displaying the email queue:
You only have to copy the two ASPX files to /admin/system/tools/ and add them to the /admin/Tab.config. Additionally, you have to add the following entries to the end of your resources.xml, right before the closing </root> element.
<resource name="Admin_Jobs_SubTitle">Here you will find a list of all configured jobs.</resource>
<resource name="Admin_EmailQueue_Title">Email Queue</resource>
<resource name="Admin_EmailQueue_SubTitle">Here you will find a list of all enqueued emails.</resource>
You can download the ASPX files and the modified Tab.config file here.
Two days ago my girl friend and I returned from our vacation on Fuerteventura. Most of the time we were hanging around at the beach or the hotel's pool, but we have rented a Jeep for three days to explore the island. Though Fuerteventura is a relatively deserted island, I love this minimalistic landscape. If you're looking for quiet and recreative vacation, I can really recommend this island.
I'm now back in Germany for three two days. On Saturday I'll take off to LA to attend the PDC. I'll arrive on Saturday afternoon, so after having a good night's rest I am going use Sunday and Monday to explore LA before the PDC starts on Tuesday.
Finally, several month after the initial release of CommunityServer I've managed to migrate from dotText. With the help from Kevin Harder's DotText-CS-Converter and Ken Robertson's SiteUrls Generator I was even able to preserve the old site structure.
"Why CommunityServer," you may ask. There more as I ranted about dotText and its progress back in January. Well, I could have stayed with dotText (or subText), but I like the bigger community of CommunityServer with supporters like Dan Bartels, John Pike, et al. I'd like to mention Dave Burke as well, though he seems to have retired from CommunityServer enhancements.
Another reason for switching to CommunityServer is that I've bought a Canon EOS 350D, and maybe I need an online gallery one day for a picture or two.
As you may already have noticed I've designed my own theme. Unfortunately, it's not as close to my own demands as I like to, but I'm a little bit in a hurry. On Tuesday my girl friend and I will be on vacation on Fuerteventura for two weeks, and when I'm back I have three days before I take off again, this time to L.A. Yes, I am going to attend the PDC. I've been there two years ago, and it was awesome.
Well, maybe it wasn't a good idea to switch the blog engine two days before my vacation. But since there wasn't any mentionable content on this site for months, nobody will notice if something goes terrible wrong here.
After the PDC I'll have more time to tinker with the site's design, and maybe I'll even able to contribute some stuff to the CommunityServer community.
I've disabled comments, since comment spam gets out of hands. As you see in the header of this site, there are currently 8374 comments counted. However, forget about 8000. These are all spam!
Besides, I'm preparing for a migration to CommunityServer. Currently, I'm struggling with HTML and CSS to get a decent skin. And I hope I'll find a immaculate solution to get rid of the comment spam. So the update of my site is only a question of, er, weeks.
Microsoft released a new power toy for viewing RAW images (currently Canon and Nikon only supported).
There are two downloads available, a "lite" version which only includes the power toy, and the "full" version which contains the power toy along with the .NET framework 1.1. But I'm wondering about their sizes: the "lite" is about 6.5MB, while "full" is 49MB big. So the included framework takes 49MB - 6.5MB = 42.5MB! That's twice as much as the standalone .NET setup (~23MB IIRC).